Saturday, 12 November 2011
How safe is the Abortion Pill?
The first thing that has to be made clear here is that a abortion pill is not to be confused with morning after pill which is prescribed by the doctor and is readily available at the nearby store. This pill is most commonly used by women to prevent pregnancy after unprotected intercourse.
Abortion pill is a type of procedure which is used to terminate established pregnancy. This pill can be taken if the pregnancy is less than 9 weeks old. The medical term for the abortion pill is RU486-Mifepristone-Mifeprex.
The procedure – The procedure for taking the abortion pill is very simple and is to be taken in two sessions. In the first session, the women ingest the RU486 abortion pill in the doctor’s clinic. After a wait of two days, another medication known as Misoprostal-cytotec is consumed. This affects the uterine wall, contracting it and thus expelling the pregnancy tissue or the embryo. The second session starts with doses of Methotrexale. A week later another dose of Misoprostal is prescribed and given to the woman. This causes more uterine contraction for expelling the remaining pregnancy tissue.
The success rate of this procedure is 95%. In some cases, surgical procedure of a D&C, curettage and dilation may be necessary to scrap out the remaining embryonic tissue from the uterus.
A lot has been said regarding the use of Abortion pill and regarding its safety in terms of health and its side effects. But most of the medical fraternity has come to the conclusion that the abortion pill is a safe method for expelling the embryo without surgical methods.
This pill is not without its complication and in no way an alternative to contraception. Some of the common disorders that are seen in the woman after this procedure are seen upto 15 days after the abortion.
· Infections – It has been observed that almost 30% of the women treated with this procedure develop severe infections in their pelvic and genital regions. For this antibiotic treatment is prescribed.
· After the procedure, there may be pain in the affected area and as such almost 80% of the women are prescribed opium based pain medications. This is because normal Ibuprofen and Aspirin may enhance bleeding.
· The studies also found out that around 11% of the women have serious bleeding problems which have to be administered under medical surroundings and hospitalization as this may need blood transfusion. This is a very fatal disadvantage of this procedure as a woman may bleed to death, if kept a secret.
· Along with the above, RU486 procedure disturbs the much needed sleep for a treated women.
· Abortion pills are also not prescribed to women suffering from severe anemia, adrenal failure or inherited porphyria or diarrhea.
Barring the above instances, it can be concluded that abortion pills are absolutely safe for abortion procedures and can be followed by a normal healthy woman. This procedure is also inexpensive as compared to surgical method of abortion. This method should always be taken under proper medical supervision and only a few women experience some of the discomforts mentioned as above and that too for a limited period only.
Even the WHO (World Health Organization) has confirmed that the abortion pills are a totally safe method in comparison with surgical pregnancy. Also, these pills do not pose any danger at the time of future pregnancies and are quite harmless.